Tuesday 4 June 2024

The village of our grandparents

A few days ago I finished reading the book: “El Pueblo del Abuelo”, one of the many heartfelt books that live in our Network of Rural Libraries of Cajamarca. I could not help but be uplifted as I flipped through the pages of this excellent book of memory. 

In the assemblies we talk about the sayings of our peasant comrades and the importance of our books, but this only gains momentum when we exercise the right to read.

In this book we can find testimonies of all kinds, which attest to the life and spirit that lies in our apus. Alfredo once told me that we must learn to “remember ourselves”, and I believe that, if there is any way to do it, it is by reading the pages of this important book that shows us how to understand our workmanship from the geographies of these apus, scattered throughout our  land of Cajamarca.

If we evoke some memory of our grandparents, I feel that the first thing that would come to mind would be some warm moment - cozy and calm, but before that space there was always an invitation from the affectionate and cheerful voices of our elders.

Thus, I invite you, with all my heart, to take a look at this and all the books that live in the Network of Rural Libraries of Cajamarca because you can be sure that our grandparents will be there waiting for us with that eternal affection.

Mauricio Perez





No comments:

Post a Comment