Thursday 3 September 2020

Jeicob and the potatoes

A computer screen is not good enough to capture children's emotions; however, when something is very important to them, they find ways to show their joy, surprise, or any other emotion. This is what I saw with Jeicob, a first grader. On purpose I left them the reading "The potato, treasure of the earth." Based on what they read, they had to draw or write an idea that was important to them or that they liked most.

The next day, after having read it, when I asked what they had thought of the reading, he jumped excitedly and brought his face close to the screen, as if for me to see it immediately. I felt like when I used to get to school and some child would pull me by the sweater or stand in front of me so that I would pay prompt attention. Since I couldn't help seeing and feeling his concern, I gave him the floor. Then, he opened his excited eyes, brought his face close to the screen and said: "What it says in the story, I do it when we take out (harvest) the potato."

This comment from Jeicob made me understand that he has learned to appreciate the work of the farm and sees the potato as a living being, with all its value, and not only as a product to take to market or to the table. He spoke of the potato with great affection, with joy, he told us that he also sings and dances to her so that she grows beautiful and give a good harvest. He also took the opportunity to comment on other experiences of life in the countryside and, based on his intervention, some other children who still maintain that contact with the land, or who even still live in the countryside, took the opportunity to tell their experiences. Someone said, for example, that at this time he is helping to take care of his "coche" (pig); another mentioned how they are helping feed their chickens; that where they live they drink milk from their own cows. And so, many comments were unleashed that forced us to lengthen the video conference.

Jeicob later wrote the part that he liked the most about that reading (see below).

Lola


(singing, dancing, the potoato is looked after with care it is planted and harvested singing, dancing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment