Wednesday 4 March 2020

“A real career”

With almost 50 years behind us, in the Rural Libraries Network we have met many reading children who are now young people: they continue reading, they continue to maintain contact, although at this moment they may be preparing to enter a higher education institution or university.

A few days ago, one of these young people told us this anecdote:

“In the pre-university academy - where I prepare for the admission exam - we have had classes with a Verbal Reasoning teacher. In one class, the teacher asked me what I am going to study and I replied that I want to be a teacher.

As I am a reader and I am good at reasoning, the professor, delighted with my participation, suddenly told me:

- Child, you perform very well. Why do you want to be a teacher? Why don't you apply for for a real career?

I was completely baffled by that question! ... I regretted not having been faster to answer: "I want to be a teacher so that your children and grandchildren are well educated."

It seems that reading also makes us better people ...

No comments:

Post a Comment