Wednesday 13 December 2023

Between connections and knowledge

One morning, I don't remember if it was sunny or rainy, I was about to attend a visit of which I had been notified the night before. It was a teacher from the School of Librarianship, who was very interested in learning about the children's room and the activities to promote reading. They told me: "tell them the usual speech, don't worry". But that visit was not at all the usual, because I would remember it for a long time.

I received then, not one, but two very enthusiastic women, who, knowing the room, did not mind sitting in the uncomfortable baby library. They introduced themselves with a smile and a joyful expression in their eyes, which filled me with pride and satisfaction for the work I do. So I began the conversation, commenting on the activities that took place, but as I spoke, Rita accompanied each word with excitement, amazement and enthusiasm, her love for library work was evident.

The questions abounded, they wanted to know more about each activity, showing an unusual interest, so the explanations were deeper to solve all the concerns, since we did not have many opportunities to repeat the visit. That's when, in the middle of the exchange of knowledge, they asked me, "Are you willing to explain everything again, to the librarians of the Network?" to which I replied, "Yes, of course I am." 

I was delighted to talk about what I like.

Nathalia and Rita, whom from that day on I would call "my friends from Peru", had caught my attention, not only for being kind, nice and smiling, but for that commitment that was noticeable with their work in libraries, that interest in sharing and learning about promoting reading in children; interest that I share with them. So we exchanged phone numbers and I saw them off two hours later; time flies when one talks with friends.

A special connection was created: we were exchanging greetings for some time, but one Sunday afternoon I formally received the request to do the training promised in that visit. I said to myself: "It is time for me to prepare something more structured and complete", because it would be for the rural libraries' managers and they sent me a link so that I could know to whom the presentation was addressed. I confess, I was happy, but afraid that I would not be what they expected. My librarian friends saw my presentation and encouraged me, so I gained confidence and prepared everything for that day, but it was not as I imagined.

The connection, not from the internet, but between me and the audience, at the beginning was timid. For a change, I talked up to my elbows, I laughed because of my nerves and I felt my heart jump out of my mouth after the silence on the other side. But at the beginning of the questioning session, I understood that everything delivered had reached its recipients, that the knowledge had been received with more pleasure than expected. A deep respect was forged in me that night for the work done day by day by those in charge of the libraries in every corner of Cajamarca. Their work is not only to guard a collection of books, but to impart the love for their roots, their customs and that their mission is not only to be librarians; they want to preserve all this, not only in books, but also in the hearts of those who live there, so that they can be replicators in the world of the culture of their region.

Now in my heart there is a space reserved for the Rural Libraries Network of Cajamarca, Peru, who earned my love and admiration with their interest in learning about the promotion of reading, to apply it in their community and make future generations feel proud of what they are and what they do in rural communities.

I can only say THANK YOU for making me part of your work, and I hope we can share more knowledge in the future.

Your friend from Medellín,

Leidy Yohana Vélez Santa. 

Professional in Information Sciences, Documentation, Librarianship and Archival Science.






No comments:

Post a Comment