Wednesday 15 March 2023

Sentimental people


Dear Alfredo,

22 years ago we met. You had just turned 40 at the time. Today would be your 62nd birthday.

If someone were ever to ask me what kind of friendships are most important to me, what kind of people I prefer to spend my life with, what people I like to have by my side - in good times and in bad - what characters I trust almost blindly, what friends I never want to lose; then I would hear the words of the wonderful Eduardo Galeano who once said:

"I like sentimental people, who do not separate reason from the heart. Who feel and think at the same time. Without divorcing the head from the body, or emotion from reason".

I also like courageous people. People who go their way with serenity and dignity, full of strength. Who touch others. Who radiate warmth and strength. Who are attentive to the outside, but never betray their inner compass. Not for reasons of ideology, but because they simply cannot do otherwise. Who are not afraid; just sometimes a little. Who, perhaps, do not know their source, but can guess the size of it. Who, therefore, know how small we are and how big the worlds of worlds are. Who are always learning new things, because life beats within them and no end can ever be definitive. Who know how to feel love and pain and still remain open. Who understand nature as part of themselves and let its beauty take their breath away. Who use their humour in a contagious way, because life is incredibly beautiful and they never doubt it.

In other words:

I would describe you.

Feel embraced and rest assured: we will drink a toast to you, wherever you are, there is always a place for you near us.

You are very much missed here.

Kyra...

No comments:

Post a Comment