Monday 27 March 2023

Romance in Switzerland

A few days ago I received an email from Monika Pfändler. We met Monika from Switzerland in 1995 and since then we have a wonderful friendship - as a family and with the Rural Libraries Network. 

Monika sent me a letter for the death of Alfredo. I share, from my heart and with Monika's permission, some lines from her letter and her beautiful photos, as a tribute to my husband Alfredo. Monika and her husband Urs accompanied Alfredo in their thoughts and prayers during the whole time of his illness. They are those friendships that add sunshine and light to our lives in difficult times. 


Here is Monika's little text from Switzerland: 

"The 16th of October 2022 was one of those golden autumn days, when nature gives us all its splendour of colour: no longer the scorching heat of summer, nor even the cold blue colour of winter, but those soft, warm colours of life as it ages, as it slowly says goodbye. 

A few days earlier I had received Alfredo's book Romance de la montaña (Romance of the mountain) and took it with me on my hike up the mountain. As I read, I felt his ñuqanchik (we) in every line. For me, Romance de la montaña is an ode to the two of you, to Alfredo and to you, Rita, and to your journey. You have left footprints in this life.  

When I got home in the afternoon, I found the note of Alfredo's passing in my email inbox. It touched me in a strange and miraculous way.

I went back up the mountain, with the camera, to my favourite little bench and the water fountain that I love so much, to take these two photos that I enclose - as a souvenir, for you, for you all."

Thank you, dear Monika, for this beautiful gift. Thank you for your beautiful friendship. Thank you, always. 

Rita Mocker.




No comments:

Post a Comment