Thursday 9 July 2020

Gratitude and respect


My maternal family is from the countryside and since I was little I have accompanied my grandmother and my aunts to weed the farm, to water and to harvest. Also in my house we had a garden and taking care of it was everyone's job.

In this time of the pandemic, already at our house here, in Cajamarca, we have started to plant and breed: lettuces, beets, carrots, squash, corn, beans and potatoes ... and for a couple of weeks we have been accompanied by two beautiful chickens and a rooster.

I have always had a lot of respect for the people who work the farm or raise their animals: their day to day is hard, their work is strong, and it is they who support the lives of thousands of people, from a whole country, from all over the world.

Now, with the little experience gained, I have greater admiration, consideration and appreciation for those who feed us with the sweat of their forehead and the work of their hands.

But I am also beginning to understand the satisfaction our brothers and sisters from the country feel when they see the first leaves of their potatoes sprouting or the bean sprouts entangling in the tender corn seedlings; I am very grateful to see our chickens scratching in the compost ... and the joy of picking up one of their eggs is immense. Learning that is a joy, a joy that makes us very happy.

Rita Mocker, from Cajamarca

No comments:

Post a Comment