Friday 19 June 2020

Keshpe: the blessing


In the ancient Andean tradition, keshpe is a special gift, something unique, a blessing from nature. It is like a revelation, from the simplest to the most complex: one is eating a plate of peas when - suddenly - he stumbles upon one that has not been cooked, which is very hard and shines with a different color. That is a keshpe. A stone, a plant, a wind ... "It is my luck", we say.

I never thought that a keshpe could also be a human. Until today.

Almost 20 years ago, Jesús Quispe (the last name Quispe comes from keshpe) was integrated as the first volunteer Coordinator of Rural Libraries in the remote community of Pión; In a short time another colleague replaced him and we no longer heard from him. That sector of our Network was then without coordinator for a long time, until just a few years ago, Jesus called me to ask if he could return. When we met, he said to me:

- I have cancer, teacher, but I will be able to.

And yes it could.

He walked through each of his communities, encouraging: “Read! There is no such thing as this! ”

He traveled two whole days to Lima to receive therapy. One of those days he calls:

- Professor, can we form Rural Libraries in Huánuco?

"Jesus," I said, "Huánuco is another region and it is very far away!"

- It's just that I am here with several friends, undergoing chemotherapy, and I am telling them about our Rural Libraries. You want to see how excited they are! And one from Huánuco was already encouraged to form them in his community.

Jesus (as the Carpenter's Son was called) Quispe (from Keshpe: the blessing) was inexhaustible: he did not want to miss any Network Assembly; formed more than 20 libraries; he filled his Rescue Notebooks with what the elders of his community had taught him ...

A couple of months ago, the doctors discharged him.

"Professor," he said, "I have already spoken to my compadre Segundo Custodio so that he assumes the Coordination.

Today is 18th May. Doña Eva, his beloved wife, just called me to say that Jesus has died.

In the midst of this drowning sadness, I am convinced: the earth, blessed Mother, sent Jesus Quispe Delgado to enlighten us, to teach us, to encourage us. To give us an example of what it means to emerge and keep walking, despite our troubles.

Alfredo Mires Ortiz,
Network Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment